The origins of the band are not clear, but it is believed to have been founded during the 19th century, when brass bands were at the peak of their popularity. Witney had several bands at that time, including the Witney Temperance Band and the Witney Mill Band, whose members were employees at Witney Mill. It was in 1910, during the proclamation of George V, that reference is first made of Witney Town Band. The band then received a lot of publicity during the 1930s, when they played at the coronation ceremony for George VI, and competed in a number of competitions. The band's popularity bloomed throughout the Second World War and the 1960s and continues to this current day.